Chiropractic Care for Pregnancy
The physical demands of pregnancy often lead to back pain, sciatica, headaches, and other musculoskeletal issues. Chiropractic care offers safe, effective relief for expecting mothers in the Denver area.
Keep reading to learn more about chiropractic treatment during pregnancy. We'll cover when to start chiropractic care, how it helps common pregnancy problems, what techniques chiropractors use, and what to expect during appointments.
When to Begin Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
Ideally, women should begin seeing a chiropractor early in their pregnancy for several reasons:
- It establishes pelvic balance and optimizes baby positioning before the uterus enlarges.
- It helps relieve normal aches and pains that arise as the body accommodates fetal growth.
- It can reduce the likelihood of back labor during delivery.
- It keeps the nervous system functioning optimally to support mother and baby during gestation.
Many experts recommend all prenatal women receive assessment and wellness chiropractic care, even without painful symptoms. Issues found early are easier to address before the spine compensates.
How Does Chiropractic Care Help Pregnant Women?
Chiropractic offers multiple benefits during pregnancy:
- Alleviates back and neck pain from shifting posture and pelvic changes.
- Relieves joint pain caused by the release of the hormone relaxin.
- Reduces inflammation pinching spinal nerves and causing radiating pain.
- Addresses sciatica and numbness/tingling from pelvic nerve impingement.
- Releases tension headaches and migraines tied to spinal and pelvic dysfunction.
- Optimizes baby positioning by aligning the pelvis - this prevents potential labor issues.
- Boosts immune function critical during pregnancy.
In addition to symptom relief, regular chiropractic wellness care keeps the nervous system balanced for a healthier mom and baby.
Chiropractic Techniques Used During Pregnancy
Chiropractors tailor their methods for the special needs of expecting women:
- Low-force techniques – Gentle instrument- or hand-guided spinal adjustments avoid pressure on abdomen.
- Modified positioning – Tables allow pregnant women to lie face down or inclined to accommodate the belly.
- Flexion distraction – Uses specialized tables to gently mobilize the lower spine through stretching motions.
- Soft tissue therapies – Releases tight supportive pelvic and back muscles.
- Exercises – Stretches and strengthening appropriate for the expectant body.
- Webster technique – Special pelvic adjustments encourage optimal fetal positioning for birth.
Only low-force manual techniques deemed safe for pregnancy are used.
What to Expect During Chiropractic Pregnancy Visits
The first chiropractic pregnancy visit involves a full health assessment:
- Spine and pelvis evaluation
- Baby position check
- Discuss pregnancy goals and concerns
- Explain beneficial chiropractic therapies
Follow-up sessions include:
- Monitoring baby position as the due date nears
- Repeating gentle adjustments
- Addressing any new musculoskeletal symptoms
- Soft tissue therapies to prevent muscle tightness
- Recommended stretches and exercises
After delivery, chiropractic helps resolve lingering back pain, nursing discomfort, and recovery tightness.
How Often Should Pregnant Women See a Chiropractor?
Most chiropractors recommend pregnant women follow this general timeline for care:
- Initial evaluation in the first trimester
- Visits every 2-3 weeks in the second trimester
- Visits 1-2 times weekly in the final trimester - especially important after week 36 for birth preparation
The frequency helps maintain comfort and proper spinal function throughout rapid physiological changes involved in pregnancy.
Chiropractic Adjustments Provide Back Pain Relief During Pregnancy
Up to 70% of pregnant women experience back pain from factors like:
- Hormones relaxing spinal ligaments
- Enlarged belly shifting the center of gravity forward
- Pelvic changes and separation pains
Chiropractic eases pregnancy back pain through:
- Spinal adjustments to improve spinal mobility and reduce nerve irritation
- Massage and muscle work releasing tense back muscles
- Pelvic adjustments maintaining optimal skeletal alignment
- Recommended stretches and exercises to build strength and stability
Rather than just masking symptoms, chiropractic treatments address the underlying structural dysfunction driving pregnancy back pain.
Chiropractic Care Eases Sciatic Nerve Pain While Pregnant
Another common pregnancy complaint is sciatica pain. Sciatica occurs when enlarging pelvic tissues compress the sciatic nerves traveling down the legs.
Chiropractors relieve pregnancy sciatica through techniques like:
- Flexion-distraction therapy to mobilize the lower spine
- Pelvic adjustments to take direct pressure off compressed nerves
- Stretches increasing flexibility in the pelvis and low back
- Massage to relax muscles tightening around nerve pathways
A study in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics found chiropractic adjustments significantly reduced both back and sciatic pain intensity for pregnant women.
Chiropractic Promotes Proper Baby Positioning for Easier Delivery
As the due date approaches, chiropractors focus on aligning the pelvis to encourage the baby into the optimal head-down vertex position. The Webster technique is a specialized chiropractic method to accomplish this by:
- Restoring normal function to sacroiliac and pelvic joints
- Releasing torsion and tension from uterine supporting ligaments
- Removing interference to nerves controlling pelvic muscles
Correct baby positioning prevents potential problems like back labor while supporting easier, faster delivery.
Choosing a Pregnancy Chiropractor in Denver
When selecting a chiropractor during pregnancy, look for these qualifications:
- Extensive experience caring for pregnant women
- Table adjustability and body positioning options
- Advanced training in prenatal chiropractic and the Webster technique
- A focus on whole body wellness and natural relief
- Compassionate nature and excellent communication skills
- Flexible scheduling and urgent visit capabilities
The right chiropractor provides supportive care leading up to childbirth and through postpartum recovery.
Experience Comfortable Pregnancies with Denver Chiropractic Care
Pregnancy places major physical demands on a woman's body. Chiropractic care helps minimize aches and pains while also encouraging proper baby positioning for smoother delivery.
Gentle spinal alignment, soft tissue work, modalities, and exercises make pregnancy more comfortable while avoiding risks from medication. Regular chiropractic wellness care keeps both mother and baby progressing healthfully.
If you're pregnant in the Denver area, contact Dr. Wood at Uptown Denver Chiropractor today to schedule a tailored evaluation. He has helped many women find relief from back/neck pain, sciatica, headaches, and other issues during and after pregnancy. Get the comfort you need to better enjoy these special months.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.