Looking for a Sports Chiropractor in Denver?
Participating in sports, whether recreational or competitive, comes with the risk of injuries. The impact from physical activity puts strain on muscles, bones, and joints. While most sports injuries are minor, some can develop into chronic issues without proper treatment and rehabilitation.
That's where seeking Denver chiropractic care can help optimize healing and function after a sports injury. Chiropractors provide natural, drug-free therapies to reduce pain, resolve inflammation, restore mobility, and prevent future occurrences.
This article explores common sports injuries treatable with chiropractic. We'll cover:
- Benefits of chiropractic care for sports injuries
- Types of sports injuries chiropractors treat
- Examination and treatment process
- Chiropractic techniques used
- Rehabilitation exercises recommended
- How to prevent further injuries through chiropractic
- Finding sports injury chiropractors in Denver
Understanding what chiropractic offers will help you get back to playing hard and feeling your best.
Benefits of Chiropractic Treatment for Sports Injuries
Chiropractic care delivers effective, holistic solutions for most musculoskeletal sport injuries. Advantages include:
- Drug-free pain relief through spinal adjustments and soft tissue therapies
- Non-invasive joint and spinal manipulation
- Relaxing spasmed, strained muscles using massage
- Restoring range of motion and flexibility
- Optimizing biomechanics for enhanced performance
- Faster injury recovery compared to rest alone
- Reduced need for medications or surgery
- Injury prevention education
- Customized rehabilitation exercises
Chiropractors help you heal completely and meet your athletic goals through hands-on techniques and active care.
Common Sports Injuries Treated by Chiropractors
Whether from acute trauma or repetitive overuse, chiropractors successfully resolve these common sport-related injuries:
- Sprains and strains - Chiropractic loosens muscles and adjusts joints back into alignment.
- Low back pain - Gentle spinal manipulation combined with core muscle exercises provide relief.
- Neck injuries - Adjustments improve cervical mobility while therapies reduce muscle tightness.
- Headaches - Chiropractic realigns the upper neck and shoulders to relieve cervicogenic headaches.
- Minor fractures - Though severe breaks require medical care, small cracks respond well to chiropractic.
- Shin splints - Adjusting misalignments and muscular imbalances in the leg brings relief.
- Tennis/golfer's elbow - Adjustments reduce joint dysfunction while massage releases forearm muscle tightness.
- Shoulder impingement - Chiropractic mobilizes the shoulder while strengthening the rotator cuff muscles.
- Knee pain - Adjustments complement therapies to reduce knee swelling and restore function.
- Ankle sprains - Chiropractic brings better flexibility and stability.
Chiropractors offer integrated solutions for injuries to any body area commonly affected by sports.
Chiropractic Examination and Diagnosis of Sports Injuries
Like all conditions, sports injuries begin with a thorough medical history and chiropractic evaluation. Your chiropractor will assess:
- Area, nature, and severity of pain
- How the injury occurred
- Joint mobility, muscle strength, and alignment
- Impaired movement patterns
- Inflammation and possible fractures
- Neurological function
This typically involves a combination of:
- Visual inspection
- Palpation of the injured region
- Orthopedic testing specific to each injury
- Checking reflexes and muscle strength
- Special imaging like x-ray, MRI, or ultrasound if needed
Proper diagnosis identifies any underlying conditions contributing to the injury so they can be addressed along with the obvious damage.
Chiropractic Techniques Used for Sports Injury Treatment
Based on your evaluation, the chiropractor selects appropriate therapies to promote natural healing. Common techniques include:
- Chiropractic adjustment – Restores optimal mobility to injured joints. Provides immediate pain relief.
- Myofascial release – Relaxes muscles holding patterns of tension and imbalance.
- Active release technique – Uses specific motions to relieve adhesions and scar tissue.
- Trigger point therapy – Applies pressure to release muscle knots causing referred pain.
- Graston technique – Specially-edged tools break down adhesions and restrictions.
- Cold laser therapy – Reduces inflammation to accelerate healing.
- Interferential current therapy – Electrical stimulation also decreases inflammation.
The right combination of these hands-on therapies based on the type of injury encourages the body's natural healing abilities.
Customized Rehab Exercises for Sports Injury Recovery
Rehabilitation through targeted exercises helps you regain strength, mobility, and function in the injured area. Your chiropractor may recommend:
- Stretches holding for 30 seconds, repeated several times daily.
- Isometric exercises for initial stability.
- Using resistance bands or weights later to build strength.
- Exercises focused on flexibility or balance.
- Core muscle exercises to improve back/spine stability.
- Specific motions to retrain proper biomechanics.
- Aerobic exercise like walking, swimming or stationary biking to increase blood flow and loosen the area.
Performing rehab exercises consistently amplifies healing between chiropractic visits.
Chiropractic Care Helps Prevent Additional Sports Injuries
Beyond resolving existing injuries, chiropractic care helps prevent future damages that could impair performance or necessitate extensive time off. Your chiropractor will provide:
- Nutritional guidance to keep your body conditioned and resilient.
- Recommendations on proper warm-up, stretching, and recovery.
- Suggestions for ergonomic technique adjustments and sport-specific motions to avoid strain.
- Orthotics if foot/gait imbalances contribute to injury susceptibility.
- Pre-game and post-game adjustments to optimize joint alignment and muscle readiness.
- Ongoing maintenance care to catch minor issues before they become major.
With these chiropractic recommendations, you can continue playing your best for years to come.
Choosing a Denver Chiropractor for Sports Injuries
When selecting a chiropractor for sports injury rehabilitation, look for these key traits:
- Extensive experience working with athletes of all ages and levels
- Use of modern treatment technology and instrumentation
- Customized care plans for each patient
- Comprehensive understanding of musculoskeletal biomechanics
- doctor- Patient-centered approach focused on goals
- Treatment not just for the injury but whole body wellness
- Flexible scheduling for multi-visit weeks during intensive therapy
With the right chiropractor's care, you can get back on the field, court, or slopes again quickly and safely.
Restore Function and Optimize Performance With Chiropractic
Chiropractors provide a vital component of integrative care for any sports injury. Non-invasive hands-on techniques stimulate your body's inherent healing abilities for optimal recovery. Joint and soft tissue treatments complement rehab exercises and preventive care so you can stay active at your best.
If a sports injury is limiting your performance, contact Uptown Denver Chiropractor for compassionate, expert care. Dr. Wood will find the cause of dysfunction and provide tailored treatments to help you regain mobility pain-free.
Get back in the game quickly and safely with sports injury chiropractic care. Call today to schedule your new patient evaluation!
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.